Event Data

10. Gen6Gamer - 283587

Last Updated:
2021-01-18 22:00:00 UTC

Donations
Become a Patron!

• Apr 12, 2021 14:41:16 UTC:
    @ONESTARv2 Just normal maintenance. Mainly an upgrade of the OS installed on the server. As for PSOX, everything is currently in a holding pattern. Insignia is still not open to the public, and we will not be able to open Sylverant for PSOX connections until then.
  • Apr 12, 2021 14:39:50 UTC:
    Sylverant maintenance completed ahead of schedule. The server should be back to normal operating conditions. Please let me know if anything is broken.
  • Apr 11, 2021 20:48:33 UTC:
    The maintenance window may be shortened (that is to say the server may reopen earlier than the schedule above says), if conditions dictate that it can be.
  • Apr 11, 2021 20:47:39 UTC:
    Sylverant will have a scheduled maintenance period tomorrow, Monday, April 12, 2021 from 09:00 to 12:00 EDT (13:00 - 16:00 UTC). During this time the PSO server and website will both be inaccessible.
  • Feb 08, 2021 04:22:45 UTC:
    @dragonminded @BobbyDilleyUK I'm just an old-school Dreamcast homebrewer (since 2001 or so), that someone gave a slight push to start looking at the Naomi too.

Happy New Year!

Well, another year has gone by, and Sylverant is still around. That’s good news, I suppose. 🙂

I don’t really have anything Sylverant-related to post about, but I wanted to ensure that everyone knew I was actually still around. Follow along below the fold if you care to know why things have been so quiet around here lately…

Some of you probably know that I’m a graduate student in Computer Science (or at least I know I’ve mentioned it a few times in the past). Well, this past semester, I finally completed my Master’s Thesis and graduated with my Master of Science degree in Computer Science. I suppose I might post my thesis online at some point if people are interested (although I doubt many people would be).

Anyhow, I had meant to make a bit longer of a post here, but I got distracted midway and kinda lost my train of thought. So, I guess I’ll cut it off here instead of rambling. 😉

10 Responses to “Happy New Year!”

1. mahkbooks says:

Congrats!
    Hope Christmas and New years was good to you! We really appreciate your efforts on this server. It’s been alot of fun being able to play with everyone here, and hopefully I will be able to for many more years to come. Good luck on your future plans. Maybe it’s time to continue on to PhD?

2. FaithY says:

Congrats, Graduate!

3. Nuji says:

Congrats on graduating dude! 🙂

Slyverant is very much appreciated. It’s really nice to be able to replay a game I loved so much as a kid again the way it was intended (i.e online).

Happy (belated) New Year!

4. nazum says:

Congrats! Is your thesis about PSO devlopment??

Just kidding 😀 Thanks for keeping PSO going BlueCrab

5. Treamcaster says:

Congratulations Bluecrab! Keep up the good work. Happy new year everyone!

6. stasher says:

Happy New Year! And congratulations!

I got in touch with a friend from college I haven’t seen in 9 years. Just found out he lives within a mile of me and just a stones throw away from my parents. *face palm* I’m currently getting him familiar with PSO, so, hopefully we’ll have another player soon!

7. Brett says:

happy new year! I just got PSO ver. 2 for the gamecube and I’m setting it up for the first time as we speak..any pointers would be much appreciated. Also, is it true that I can only play against other people with the Gamecube versions of the game? I have the Dreamcast version as well but unfortunately no landline anymore:/

• BlueCrab says:

Unfortunately, if you want to play safely, yes, you’re limited to playing against other Gamecube users. There are a few incompatibilities between the games, most glaring is map object id differences. These incompatibilities can cause either side to end up FSODing at seemingly random points (such as opening a box), so the versions are kept separate.

If you really want to play with DC or PC users and you don’t mind the occasional FSOD, you can have the DC/PC user create the team and use the /enablegc command to allow GC users to play. Then, GC users must use the /showdcpc command to actually have DC or PC games show up at the lobby counter. It is a two step process so that everyone involved has to acknowledge that they’re doing something that’s inherently unsupported by the games. 😉

If you wanted to use the DC version, you could always set up one of the DC/PC server setups that are pretty widely documented in Dreamcast forums. That way you only need a modem on your PC do do the work of a dialup ISP.