Well, even if it is a few hours early for me, officially by the server’s time (UTC), it’s the new year. So, it’s time to unveil a new feature of the server that hopefully some people will find enjoyable. 🙂
Last year, I started accepting donations in Dogecoins that would be put toward server events and whatnot. Today begins the first of these events! As of the time of the writing of this post, the donations wallet has just under 14,000 Dogecoins in it, so I’ll put 7,000 coins up for grabs in the event that starts today.
How the event will work is as follows, anyone who wishes to participate in this event (as well as any future events) must be logged into his or her account on the server (i.e, you have to have used the /login command in-game), and then must use the new /trackkills command. Once you do so, the server will keep track of the enemies you kill in-game and will automatically record them when you leave the team you’re in. Note: the new /trackkills command and enemy tracking now works on Iselia, Vega, Altimira, and Palmacosta.
For the current event running, your kill counts of certain Episode 1 enemies (no, I’m not telling you which ones, but feel free to try to figure it out 😉 ) will be totaled up across all free-play (non quest, non challenge, non battle) teams that you participate in for the next month. At the end of the month, the top three players by that count will receive a prize. It’s as simple as that. First place will take home 4,000 DOGE, second place will take home 2,000 DOGE, and third place will take home 1,000 DOGE. Winners will be contacted by me after the end of the month to figure out where to send their winnings (and if any winners wish to reinvest their winnings in the donations pool, they are more than welcome to do so).
Anyway, I hope everyone enjoys our first server-wide event and I hope everyone has a great new year.
PS: Continue reading for answers to a few questions you might have…
Frequently (or not so much) asked questions about server events:
- Do I need to run /trackkills every time? – No, once you log in (with “/login username password” on the server), and run the /trackkills command once, the shipgate will remember that you have opted-in to the server event and you won’t need to run the command again.
- Why don’t enemies killed in a quest count? – I didn’t want anyone using any potential quests that might have a lot of enemies to get an unfair advantage for the event, so I set the event up so it wouldn’t count stuff killed in quests.
- Why didn’t my kills get tracked? – First of all, as has already been said, if you played in a quest or a challenge or battle mode stage, nothing will get tracked. The team must be in free play mode the entire time you’re in it in order for your kills to count (
I intend to make it so kills accrued before a quest starts count at a later date, but that code is not currently in the serverAny ship updated to r774 or later will send count updates to the shipgate when a quest starts, so once a ship is at that version, you won’t have to worry about it. As of right now, Iselia, Altimira, and Vega should all meet this requirement). Second, you might not have killed any of the enemies that are being counted. Only 15 Episode I enemy types are being counted for this event.
- What enemy types are being counted for this event? – That’s classified information. 😉 Besides, it’s more fun if you don’t know. I’ll probably reveal that information once the event is over, but until then, I’m not saying anything.
- What if there’s a tie? – Well, hopefully there won’t be. 😉 But, if there is a tie, then the tie will be broken by a fair method, such as a coin flip or a random number generator (if there is more than two players tied).
More to come later, if people ask any more questions. 😉