Setsubun Oni Hunt
2023-01-27 05:00:00 UTC
2023-02-10 05:00:00 UTC
Ranking for BP
- MosaicMario - 384717
- Nyte - 323111
- SirRappington - 203790
- Tman - 188505
- hdrgb - 90750
- Mr8bit - 90637
- ESPRE - 82323
- Barrie2002 - 75026
- Aniki - 68302
- Gen6Gamer - 52053
2023-02-10 05:00:00 UTC
Phantasy Star Online
Archive for 2011
Saturday, July 30th, 2011
I’ll be away on vacation for the next week or so (I’ll be back late on August 7th), so I’ll be a bit slower to answer any comments/questions/etc directed at me for that time. I should have regular Internet access while I’m away (according to the place we’re staying), so I will still be around, just not as often.
For the course of the week, I’m granting more responsibility to some of the other GMs on the PSO server, in case things need to be taken care of. I don’t expect them to need to use said powers, but they will have them in case they are needed.
Posted in Server News | 5 Comments »
Wednesday, July 27th, 2011
So, in an effort to make things better for everyone on Sylverant who’s native language isn’t English, I’m looking for people who will be willing to do some translations of various things for the server. I’m looking for people to translate not only the server messages, but also possibly quests as well. Right now, I’m looking for people to translate for the languages that PSO itself supports natively, but I may look for people who can translate for other languages at some point in the future (Portuguese is a language for which support has already been requested). The languages in question (for now) are:
- Japanese (I think I have this one taken care of already)
- German (I think I have someone to do this too)
- Spanish (I probably have people who can take care of this one as well)
- Chinese – Simplified
- Chinese – Traditional
Some of the languages will involve significantly more work than the others due to a lack of quests in the language in question. I don’t have an estimate exactly of how much work they’ll all be at the moment…
Anyway, anyone seriously interested should reply to this post with a comment, and I’ll try to get in touch with you. Also, even if it says I have someone to take care of a specific language, it never hurts to have a backup, right? 😉
EDIT: To anyone that’s looking to have some idea of how much work is involved in translating the server messages, I’ve actually put up all the translatable strings in the SVN repository. Take a look at ship-strings.txt and login-strings.txt to see what would need to be translated in the ship and login servers. Also, for examples of older translation files (that are missing things by now) for the login server, look at the .yts files listed here.
Posted in Server News | 18 Comments »
Wednesday, July 20th, 2011
I don’t usually use the space on pages for my projects to talk about personal issues, but I felt the need to this time. Yesterday, July 19th, my grandfather Alvin Perry passed away at the age of 77. While I was unfortunately never as close to my grandfather as I would have liked, this still feels like the right thing to do.
I only wish that we would have been able to share more time together. I know that now you’ve gone to that great fishing spot in the sky, grandpop! You’ll land the big one for sure now!
Posted in Uncategorized | 5 Comments »
Wednesday, July 13th, 2011
Well, there’s been quite a bit of work done on Sylverant since the update in June… Not the least of which is the addition of some initial support for Blue Burst. Anyway, here’s a more detailed list:
- Support PSO game connections over IPv6 in all parts of the server (not supported for Blue Burst at the moment).
- Fix a bug with guildcard searches that go to the shipgate pointing at the wrong port.
- Disable the MOTD on PSOGC since it doesn’t work right at all.
- Convert PSOGC/PSOBB’s extra character classes and costumes so that they don’t cause issues with PSOv1, v2, and PC.
- Don’t allow PSOGC clients to become leader on cross-platform play (for various compatibility reasons, and related to the above).
- Add the GM command /override
- Don’t allow PSOGC’s extended character classes into V1-compatible cross-platform games.
- Add the command /ver to see what version of the ship server is running.
- Fix team names in guild searches and choice searches that have Japanese characters.
- Treat Episodes 1 & 2 separately from Episode 3 when checking if various versions are allowed on a ship.
- Reorganized the code for choice replies, making it a bit more sane and easy to maintain.
- Initial work toward allowing the server to optionally control drops.
- Configure patches for the patch server with an XML file, much like pretty much everything else in Sylverant.
- Fix a bug with /list that could cause a segfault on the ship if a user was not in a lobby for some reason.
- Various cleanups and changes to the database.
- Make the /passwd command only accept ASCII characters, as the normal password input box does.
- Initial support for PSO Blue Burst.
- Fix a random bug with PSOPC and the /override command.
- Various documentation updates along the way.
Lots of stuff done in the past month or so, right? Anyway, this brings us to r502 of the SVN for Sylverant. I wouldn’t expect quite as much to get done in the next month, since I’ll be going on vacation in a few weeks. 🙂
Posted in Server News | Comments Off on What’s new since June’s update?
Sunday, July 10th, 2011
So, I’ve pretty much got all the BB support I’m going to work on for a while done, and I want to make sure I haven’t screwed anything up with the other versions of the game. To that end, Iselia (and only Iselia at the moment) is now running the current version of the ship server (synchronized to my codebase, not the SVN), with BB support enabled.
Please, if you get a chance to try things out on it, play around and make sure I haven’t broken anything (in limited testing, we’ve found a few things I broke already, and fixed them). Leave a comment on this news story if you find anything broken, even if it seems minor.
Its much better to find out about broken stuff now than later on when it inevitably gets bigger and more annoying to deal with.
If all goes well over the next day or so, I’ll assume everything’s good, and commit this massive changeset up to the SVN. Also, I’ll enable people to set up their accounts for Blue Burst support sometime tomorrow if all goes well.
Posted in Server News | 8 Comments »
Monday, July 4th, 2011
To those of you in the US, I guess I could say Happy Independence Day, but to everyone else, I hope you had a good 4th of July. I’ve been hard at work on Sylverant for a bit now (a week or two), and I have something that I’m just going to leave here for right now…
More to come later, once I finish up with testing…
Posted in Server News | 18 Comments »
Wednesday, June 8th, 2011
So, as you may know today, June 8, 2011 is World IPv6 Day. A while back, I had posted that this site itself was accessible over IPv6. I also said in that same post that I was toying with the idea of allowing the shipgate to accept connections for ships over IPv6. Well, in honor of World IPv6 Day, I did just that early this morning. In fact, Iselia has been running this way pretty much since then (Altimira is not, just in case there were any issues that happened to come up). Like I said when I last talked about IPv6, this is limited to the ship to/from shipgate communications, as PSO itself does not support IPv6.
I guess I’ll use the rest of this post for the monthly update now… Here’s what was done since the last monthly update:
- Fix the message displayed if someone tries to display their friendlist at an unsupported offset.
- Fix a problem where if someone disconnects while bursting, the game would be screwed up.
- Detect duplicate percentages on weapons as non-legit.
- Workaround for a stupid PSOPC (maybe PSODC too) bug with shields and generating invalid EVP/DFP numbers (a modification of the legits.xml file).
- Initial work on allowing some actions in the ship server to be scriptable in Python.
- Allow a quest to be tied to multiple events, and allow quests to specify a min/max number of players to allow in the quest.
- Allow the legits list to be refreshed while the ship is running.
- Add a /logout command.
- Fix an issue where the ship server would silently exit if someone disconnected improperly (and some other conditions also happened).
- Store user options in the shipgate database (currently only the quest language).
- Removed the ability to run multiple ships in the same instance of the ship server (unused and probably very broken by now).
- Add IPv6 support for ship to/from shipgate communications.
- Cleanups and fixes for a few segfaults.
So, a bit more productive than the past few months have been. As of right now, the SVN is up to r458.
Posted in Server News | 5 Comments »
Monday, May 9th, 2011
Well, almost nothing has happened in the past month (due to “real life” stuff), so this will be a very short post. As for what’s new in Sylverant:
- Added a command to send the friendlist, including friend status, to the client. This required changes in shipgate and ship_server, for obvious reasons.
- Added a global message command for global GMs that goes to all ships.
That’s actually everything that’s changed in the code (up to r423 in the SVN). Other than that, I did a badly needed update pass on the software running on the server, so everything’s relatively up-to-date there. Hopefully there’ll be a little bit more new in next month’s update, as the semester is winding down for me at school.
Posted in Server News | 3 Comments »
Saturday, April 23rd, 2011
I’m starting a rather large update pass to try to bring the machine running Sylverant up-to-date. I’m aiming to not interrupt the server at all, but unfortunately with these types of things, sometimes its unavoidable (only thing that should affect the PSO server is if MySQL needs updating, which I suspect it will). I’m going to attempt to update anything that will not affect the PSO server now, while holding off on other things until nobody’s online.
If you see this, don’t let me interrupt your play time. I’m in no particular hurry to do this update pass. I just wanted to let people know, in the case that I screw it up and update something that breaks the server for a bit…
EDIT: Everything’s up-to-date now on the server. No problems seem to have crept up, as far as I can tell. 🙂
Posted in Server News | 2 Comments »
Tuesday, April 12th, 2011
So, here’s the promised monthly update for what happened since the last one. Much like last month, there’s not that much new…
- Login server acts more like Sega’s did, with an initial menu presenting “Ship Select” and “Download”. Ships now have numbers, and are sorted based on their numbers. Also, align terminology for the ship select menus between ship server and login server (using Sega’s old terminology).
- Fix a memory leak in the login server.
- Don’t detect invisible PBs as hacked in the legit checker (since there are legit reasons for them).
- Further logging when hacked items are detected in the legit checker.
This brings things up to r419. Fair warning, don’t expect much next month. I have a lot of stuff to do between now and the middle of next month that will probably limit my time for working on Sylverant significantly. After that I should have plenty of time to do things… Hopefully.
Posted in Server News | 4 Comments »